Lexington Kentucky History
The first settlers in the area, including William McConnell, named their campsite after the town of Lexington, Kentucky, which they consider one of the most important cities in Kentucky history. The border guards called the settlement Lexington because the construction had been delayed by four years because of trouble with the native Indians.
Lexington was built as a post office in 1934, but merged with the city of Lexington in Fayette County in 1974.
The Kentucky University Agricultural and Mechanical College became a state university with land scholarships, which eventually became the University of Kentucky. In 1917, KU bought the Kentucky Light and Power Company and moved its headquarters to Louisville.
After the war, most production moved to Lexington, Kentucky, and in 1835 there was a railroad line across the Kentucky River to Frankfurt. The Lexington and Ohio Railroad was chartered in 1830 and in 1836 the Frankfort and Lexington Railroad began operations, followed by the Covington and Kentucky Railroad in 1840 and the Louisville and Louisville & Kentucky Railroad in 1850.
Cities like Lexington, Louisville and Cincinnati are usually the places where profits are reinvested. When urban renewal hit Lexington in the 1950s and 1960s, the industrial center of Lexington moved downtown.
In the twentieth century, the construction of the Kentucky State Capitol and Lexington-Louisville International Airport helped to foster growth, but it passed through Lexington. Lexington was its temporary capital and experienced a brief period of prosperity around the turn of the century, when the success of steamships gave a distinct advantage to the rival Ohio River city of Louisville. Soon, the proximity to the Lexington River and access to cattle made it an important source of income for the city's residents.
In 1792, the Commonwealth of Kentucky split from Virginia and became the fifteenth state to join the Union, and Lexington was founded as part of Virginia, which would take 17 years before Kentucky became a state. Strangely, the beginning of the American Civil War in 1861 as a slave-owner led to a split in loyalty between the Commonwealth and the Confederate States of America. Kentucky, including Lexington, bore the full burden of hostility, since the Battle of Lexington was the command post of a Union army stationed in the city.
At that time, the state of Kentucky was so remote that only hunters, surveyors and explorers had come there.
In June 1775, the pioneers camping on the bluegrass, buffalo and Indian Trail received the news of the Battle of Lexington, Massachusetts, which marked the beginning of the American Revolution. While they were camped in this place, the first shot of a shot heard in the world was a cannon strike. Lexington was named after Lexington in Massachusetts because the group was so inspired by its history and value. The newly built Lexington proved its worth by fending off attacks by British and American Indians during the last American Revolution and history proves it is worth it.
Lexington is also home to the University of Kentucky Wildcats, a basketball team that has made a name for itself as the nation's leading team. Lexington continues to entertain the region with its award-winning games, and remains proud of its basketball heritage and home to one of America's most successful basketball teams.
The University of Kentucky was founded in Lexington in 1865 and attracts students, researchers and athletes from all over the United States and around the world. Minutes from Bluegrass Airport, Central Bank Center and Rupp Arena opened in 1976. It is home to the Kentucky Wildcats basketball team and the Wildcats men's and women's basketball teams.
Hunt - Morgan House is one of Lexington's historic homes, better known as the home of Henry Clay and his wife Mary Anne Hunt Morgan. The mansion was built in 1812, before Henry Clay moved to Lexington, and is home to many of Kentucky's most famous and influential people. It was built in the 18th century, long before Henry Lehm even moved to Kentucky.
Before moving to Georgia, Dr. Jones had been a resident of the Kenwick neighborhood for 15 years and had lived in the house for nearly 30 years. The house was eventually bought by its current owner, the Rev. John Hawkins, who claims to be the founder of the Lexington Clinic, in the early 20th century. Ky. Rev Hawkins lived only 11 months before coming to Lexington, but did an excellent job during that time.
When President Chester Arthur visited Lexington in 1883, he visited the farm and had tea in the clubhouse, and also visited "The Farm" when he visited it. In addition, President George Washington, First Lady of the United States of America, spent his first two years in Lexington. He grew up in the Kenwick neighborhood of Lexington, Kentucky, just outside the city limits, and visited the Lexington several times during his tenure, as did his wife, the first lady, who was born there. After the opening of this "clubhouse," Lexington Country Club became a popular destination for golfers from the surrounding county and communities.